College Of Teachers Education – Andhra Mahila Sabha
College of Teacher Education, Andhra Mahila Sabha owes its origin to the dedicated efforts and dynamic leadership of Padma Vibhushan Dr.(Mrs.)Durgabai Deshmukh, the Founder President of AMS, the first voluntary organization in India that pioneered the cause of women and their empowerment. She established the college in 1971 by receiving permission from Government of Andhra Pradesh and got it affiliated to Osmania University. In 1997, the college was upgraded as a College of Teacher Education (CTE), a unique privilege conferred on a private aided college of education. As a CTE, the responsibility of the college was enhanced; apart from conducting pre-service teacher training programmes to primary and secondary level teachers, its onus included the conduct of orientation programmes, content enrichment programmes, workshops, seminars and research projects on thrust areas of content transaction. As of now the college offers five teacher education programmes from Early Childhood to Post Graduate level viz. B.Ed., M.Ed., B.Ed. Spl. Edn.(H.I), P.G. Dip in Early Childhood Education (ECE) and ECCE Certificate course.
The college is a study center for Dr. B.R. Ambedhkar Open University for conducting B.Ed. (Distance Mode) teacher training programme for Government and Private primary teachers and also Study Centre for NIOS Diploma in Elementary Education (Training for un-trained teachers). The College offers Early Childhood Care and Education three months Certificate Course and add on Courses i.e. Proficiency in English and Human Rights Education. The College provides consultancy for primary and secondary teachers of private schools as and when they approach the institution. It conducts job melas, offers placement services to the pre-service students and alumni.
A class above the other Colleges of Education in the State that this college can flaunt off without any qualms is that of creating a bench mark in maintaining the high quality of education relevant to the needs of the society and in its uniqueness of having created certain mile stones that deserve a brief mention hereunder.
- It was the only college to receive assistance under COSSHIP
- Only college to get assistance for Restructured Courses under the Faculty of Education, Osmania University, Hyderabad
- First institution in the voluntary sector to get a project from UNICEF through NCERT. This project finally culminated into establishment of State Resource Centre (SRC) in (ECE) in the State of Andhra Pradesh
- CTE status conferred in 1997 – a unique privilege conferred on a private Aided College in Andhra Pradesh
- Only Private Aided single faculty college offering five teacher preparation courses at different levels.